During his amazing life, David filled many roles:
He was a:
Perhaps above all of these attributed, we find one that rises above all others:
David was a worshipper!!
Yet they belies the true meaning of the actual verse.!
The Hebrew word for “chief rulers” is kōhēn: A masculine noun meaning priest. The word is used to designate the various classes of priests in Israel. These people performed the function of mediators between God and His people.
Some translation do a better job of communicating this truth...
- ESV - and David's sons were priests
- NET - and Davidʼs sons were priests.
- NLT - And David’s sons served as priestly leaders.
Historically, all of the priests were to come from the tribe of Levi (Deut. 17:9, 18).
But David, from the tribe of Judah and not Levi, was radical in his approach of God:
- He ate the bread of the priesthood.
- He coordinated the moving of the ark, dancing before it.
- He set up his own tabernacle, without any direction or commandment from God.
Where did David get the idea that he could break the rules and let his sons enter the priesthood?
David moved in a prophetic realm and authority of the one who would establish the throne and the kingdom of the Messiah.
Perhaps there was something deep within the heart of David, that more than anything else, he wanted his sons to be worshippers.
- More than killing bears and lions.
- More than ruling nations and people.
- More than winning battles and wars.
I want my sons to worship GOD!!!